Download free course Ruby Best Practices, pdf file on 329 pages by Gregory T. Brown.
How do you write truly elegant code with Ruby? Ruby Best Practices is for programmers who want to use Ruby as experienced Rubyists do. Written by the developer of the Ruby project Prawn, this concise book explains how to design beautiful APIs and domain-specific languages with Ruby, as well as how to work with functional programming ideas and techniques that can simplify your code and make you more productive. You'll learn how to write code that's readable, expressive, and much more.Table of contents
Ruby Best Practices will help you:
- Understand the secret powers unlocked by Ruby's code blocks;
- Learn how to bend Ruby code without breaking it, such as mixing in modules on the fly;
- Discover the ins and outs of testing and debugging, and how to design for testability;
- Learn to write faster code by keeping things simple;
- Develop strategies for text processing and file management, including regular expressions;
- Understand how and why things can go wrong;
- Reduce cultural barriers by leveraging Ruby's multilingual capabilities.
This book also offers you comprehensive chapters on driving code through tests, designing APIs, and project maintenance. Learn how to make the most of this rich, beautiful language with Ruby Best Practices.
Driving Code Through Tests
Designing Beautiful APIs
Mastering the Dynamic Toolkit
Text Processing and File Management
Functional Programming Techniques
When Things Go Wrong
Reducing Cultural Barriers
Skillful Project Maintenance
Writing Backward-Compatible Code
Leveraging Ruby's Standard Library
Ruby Worst Practices