CPU Architecture Tutorial
This document discusses history of the 80x86 CPU family and the major improvements occuring along the line.
The historical background will help you better understand the design compromises they made as well as understand the legacy issues surrounding the CPU s design. This chapter also discusses the major advances in computer architecture that Intel employed while improving the x86.
Table of contents
- Chapter Overview
- The History of the 80x86 CPU Family
- A History of Software Development for the x86
- Basic CPU Design
- Patch Panel Programming
- Encoding Instructions
- Encoding Instructions with Source and Destination Fields
- Decoding and Executing Instructions: Random Logic Versus Microcode
- RISC vs. CISC vs. VLIW
- Instruction Execution, Step-By-Step
- Parallelism – the Key to Faster Processors
- The Prefetch Queue – Using Unused Bus Cycles
- CPU Design with a Prefetch Queue
- Pipelining – Overlapping the Execution of Multiple Instructions
- A Typical Pipeline
- A Pipelined Implementation of Instruction Execution
- Instruction Execution in a Pipeline
- Stalls in a Pipeline
- Instruction Caches – Providing Multiple Paths to Memory
- A Typical Harvard Machine
- Using Separate Code and Data Caches
- A Data Hazard
- How the 80x86 Handles a Data Hazard
- A CPU that Supports Superscalar Operation
- Parallel Processing
- File Size:
- 329.41 Kb
- Submitted On:
Take advantage of this course called CPU Architecture Tutorial to improve your Computer architecture skills and better understand CPU.
This course is adapted to your level as well as all CPU pdf courses to better enrich your knowledge.
All you need to do is download the training document, open it and start learning CPU for free.
ROM, EPROM, and EEPROM pdf tutorial
Download free pdf tutorial about ROM, EPROM, and EEPROM, training course intended to beginners.
Cache Memory course
Download free training document in pdf ,brief overview of memory cache on 18 pages by Linda Wong.
In this tutorial, we briefly describe a basic computer architecture and principles of its operation ,a free PDF training course under 12 pages by Milo Martin & Amir Roth.
Central Processing Unit (CPU) Tutorial
With this pdf training course, we will learn the basics of central processing unit of the computer, free tutorial intended to beginners.